It is essential that corporate decision makers view environmental, social and governance objectives as an integral part of their strategy.
Shareholders, investors, lenders, regulators, communities and other stakeholders expect companies to apply ESG performance criteria in conducting the company's corporate social responsibility and risk management.
WATCH THE SERIES
ESG Series: Defining and Driving ESG Within Your Organization
Bennett Jones provides complete ESG-related advice using our deep knowledge and wide experience garnered from advising clients on domestic and international business law relating to corporate governance, securities disclosure, corporate reporting, environmental law, climate change, indigenous relations, project development, supply chain management and crisis and risk management.
We provide advice to clients that helps them seize ESG opportunities, minimize compliance gaps, and mitigate risks. We collaboratively identify, develop and implement ESG-related solutions, with the aim to benefit clients, their shareholders, and the communities in and with whom they conduct business.
Working closely with our Governmental Affairs & Public Policy group, we help clients anticipate legal and policy trends and drivers in ESG-related matters. Our holistic approach to risk management, helps to develop policy strategies in anticipation of and in response to government policy-making and connects clients with governments to develop greater client and government awareness and advocacy.
We understand that companies are judged by investors, employees, regulators, and activists in real-time on social and environmental impacts, and governance standards. ESG considerations have become as important to many stakeholders as business growth, return on investment and other measures of financial performance. Like our clients, we know that undertaking an effective ESG program is about much more than aspirational commitment. It is about meaningful community engagement and buy-in from all corporate stakeholders, by everyone from front line employees, to senior management and the Board of Directors, and externally requiring suppliers of goods and services to meet the targeted standards.
Where We Help
- Climate change adaptation, response, and innovation
- GHG emissions, trading, and offsets
- Water management
- Environmental compliance and climate change litigation
- Waste management and circular economy
- Energy and clean technology
- Sustainable finance and impact investing
- Equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI)
- Employment and labour relations
- Human rights protection
- Indigenous rights and relations
- Community engagement
- Corporate reputation management
- Supply chain management
- Product responsibility and stewardship
- Board governance, diversity, best practises and transparency
- Stakeholder engagement
- Shareholder activism, preparation and response
- Investor relations and public disclosure compliance
- Compliance and internal controls
- Proxy advisory firm vesting guidelines
- Securities disclosure
- Cybersecurity and data protection
In an environment of emerging ESG regulation, disclosure, and other business considerations, we support our clients as they build, defend and sustain multi-faceted ESG policies and practises that are integral to their long-term business strategies.
ESG in the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Sphere of Influence