Free trade, open sky arrangements, the reorganization of Canada's transportation networks and growing carrier liability issues have altered the face of the country's transportation industry. Transportation-related work is highly regulated, extremely competitive and extensively insured. Combining our knowledge of transportation law with our experience in competition policy, labour relations, environmental regulation and insurance law, we offer an integrated set of legal services to transportation regulators and industry participants.
We have advised on issues ranging from consolidation of air carriers to busing school children and transporting hazardous materials on railcars for a cross-section of transport manufacturers and service providers: public, private and charter airlines, aircraft and helicopter manufacturers, aerospace companies, trucking companies, railways, financial institutions underwriting transportation operations and industry regulators such as the Canadian Transportation Agency and the Transportation Safety Board. Among the full range of our services, our work regularly includes advising on:
- Transportation safety and environmental disputes such as derailments, hazardous materials leaks and spills
- Development, construction and financing of and ongoing operations and maintenance for transportation services and public transportation authorities and public-private partnerships for airports and airport authorities, shipping terminals, ports and railway hubs
- Compliance with industry-specific regulation including air and rail transportation regulation
- Employment services for both federally and provincially-regulated providers
- Litigation related to personal injury and cargo damage
- Protection and exploitation of proprietary intellectual property and technology
- Aviation and equipment finance and asset-based lending
- Customs and trade issues
- Insolvency and restructuring matters in regulated industries
- The Government of Bermuda, as Chief Legal Advisor, in connection with the redevelopment and 30 year operation of Bermuda's L.F. Wade International Airport. Read more
- Canadian Pacific Railway Limited in connection with its proposed US$28 billion merger with Norfolk Southern Corp.
- Wheels Group, Inc. in connection with its corporate reorganization and subsequent acquisition by Radiant Logistics Inc. pursuant to a court approved plan of arrangement for approximately $100 million
News & Speaking Engagements