Agribusiness is growing steadily across North America, and considerable attention is now focused on the growth of this sector in Canada. The Agribusiness, Food and Beverage team at Bennett Jones combines strong industry knowledge with a broad cross-section of expertise in regulatory, mergers & acquisitions, intellectual property, corporate commercial, and technology law.
Our Agribusiness, Food and Beverage team includes lawyers from a range of disciplines who have a comprehensive understanding of the legal issues and challenges faced by clients involved in food and beverage production and agriculture. We work with Canadian, cross-border, and international clients to address common challenges in the food and beverage and agribusiness sector, such as regulatory compliance, distribution, processing, intellectual property, and litigation.
Regulatory authorities, in particular, have an increasing influence over how business is conducted in Canada and around the world. Our regulatory team works on food and beverage and agribusiness issues with clients at local, national and international levels, and our lawyers have experience across a broad spectrum of regulated sectors including food and agriculture.
We rely on our extensive capabilities when leading clients through complex regulatory approval processes in the food and beverage and agriculture sectors; we advise both regulatory authorities and applicants on major projects, and we also provide comprehensive, practical advice on the following challenges that our agribusiness clients face:
- Commercial transactions
- Environmental issues
- Regulatory issues
- Tax issues
- Intellectual property
- Marketing boards and commissions
- Trade issues
- Agriculture lending and recovery
- Agricultural and food production litigation
- Business organization and development
- Land use planning
- Food safety
As a full-service law firm, we can provide our clients with expertise across all relevant disciplines that affect the food and beverage and agribusiness sector. We help both Canadian and foreign agribusiness clients capitalize on new business opportunities, expand agricultural operations into new markets, and navigate the complex legal challenges they may face along the way.
- Supreme Pharmaceuticals Inc. in connection with a $55 million private placement of convertible debenture units Read more
- Representing a multinational fertilizer business with a range of intellectual property and privacy matters as well as specialized IT and commercial agreements.
- Representing Agriculture and AgriFoods Canada in a license dispute over plant breeder's rights.