We help clients realize their vision in developing major projects through strategic and business-focused legal advice. Our team has acted on transformative, complex and highly innovative public-private infrastructure projects across Canada and internationally, including power, oil and gas, pipeline, utilities, nuclear power facilities, telecommunication, health care, education, roads, airports, public transportation, and a range of "smart city" facilities.
Our value to clients includes:
- Practical deal-making approach – Complex projects create impacts to communities and relationships between parties, often for decades. We apply a long-term view to develop structures that account for commercial realities and business objectives.
- National and international experience – Clients benefit from our perspective on documentation and prevailing risk allocation models, across Canada and internationally.
- Understanding the deal – Our experience with private consortia, design-builders, project sponsors, financiers, service providers and First Nations partners gives us perspective on key issues and negotiating points in any complex deal, and lets us integrate seamlessly with other service providers and consultants.
- Project finance breadth – Advising on the full range of financing models – lending, bank/bond deals, capital markets financing, private equity investments, capital swaps, monetizations, and more – has enabled us to influence many of the structures in use in Canada today, including several “firsts” in the market.
Our service to clients is complemented by related expertise in public procurement, governmental affairs, regulatory matters, First Nations consultations, construction and environmental law, among others.
As one of the first firms to advise on the P3 and AFP structures in Canada, and with an active international practice, our team is on the leading edge of current and emerging transaction models. We have advised governments and related agencies, bidding consortia and financiers with respect to procurement, project agreements, project finance, design-build issues, EPC and EPCM, DBFM and environmental compliance in relation to healthcare, transportation, power transmission, government services and technology infrastructure projects.
- The Government of Bermuda, as Chief Legal Advisor, in connection with the redevelopment and 30 year operation of Bermuda's L.F. Wade International Airport. Read more
- Infrastructure Ontario and Providence Care with the structuring, procurement, negotiation and settlement of the project documents in connection with the Providence Care Hospital Project. Read more
- The Government of Nunavut in connection with the procurement of new facilities at the Iqaluit International Airport under a public-private partnership model. The project will include a new terminal, combined
services building and facility rehabilitation with a thirty year operating concession.
2017, Top 100 Canada's Biggest Infrastructure Deals
Bennett Jones, recognized, involvement in 3 of top 100 projects
2017, The Legal 500: Canada
Bennett Jones, ranked, Infrastructure and Projects
2015, The Legal 500: Canada
Bennett Jones, recognized as a leading law firm in Infrastructure and Projects
News & Speaking Engagements