Ted Yoo is a registered patent and trademark agent in both Canada and the United States. His practice covers all matters related to intellectual property (IP), but is particularly focused on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, licensing, patentability and freedom to operate opinions, and IP review in support of financings, and mergers and acquisitions.
With a background in microbiology and chemistry, and an enduring personal interest in all areas of technology, Ted acts for clients in the fields of biotechnology, nanotechnology, pharmaceuticals, forestry and agriculture, and the oil and gas industry. In particular, Ted has significant experience with pharmaceuticals, advanced materials, fuel cells, fertilizer production, upstream, midstream and downstream petroleum technology, and computer-related inventions.
He is a Sessional Lecturer in IP Law at the Faculty of Law, University of Alberta and has lectured in the Faculty of Engineering, University of Alberta.
Past and present memberships and volunteer positions include:
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Association of University Technology Managers
- Licensing Executives Society
- Canadian Association of Law Teachers
- Alberta Health Industry Association (AHIA)
- Past member of the Canada Patent Agent Examining Board
- Past Vice-President of the Alberta Soccer Association, and current member of the Risk Management Committee
- Coach and former board member of Scottish United Soccer Club
- Past Chair of The Arthritis Society (Alberta and NWT Division)
- Past Director of the National Board of The Arthritis Society
- Past Director of Edmonton Korean Cultural Centre Foundation