Michael Selnes practices commercial litigation in a variety of areas, with a growing specialization in bankruptcy and insolvency. Mike has represented clients before the Alberta Provincial Court, Queen’s Bench Court, and Alberta Court of Appeal as well as assisting with matters before the Alberta Securities Commission and various private arbitrations. Mike has also conducted multiple mediations and pre-trial conferences and has a strong record of settling disputes.
Mike has experience representing clients in the following types of disputes:
- A variety of insolvency experience including actions under the CCAA, BIA;
- Representing commercial landlords executing distraints, security agreements, and evictions;
- Representing plaintiffs in personal injury actions;
- Representing medical practitioners in malpractice disputes;
- Representing oil and gas producers and servicing companies in a wide variety of commercial disputes;
- Assisting in filing and disputing builders’ liens;
- Assisting in various construction disputes, including representing home builders and home owners;
- Representing companies in securities commission actions; and
- Obtaining injunctions and personal Restraining Orders.
During his undergrad, Mike served as the Chair of the Counsel of Alberta University Students, the Vice President External of the University of Calgary Students Union and was a two-turn University of Calgary Senator. During Law School, Mike sat on the Board of the Student Legal Assistance and was actively involved in the University of Calgary Moot Program, as a member of the Jessup Moot Team and the National Champion Corporate Securities Moot Team. Mike continues his involvement as a co-coach of the Corporate Securities Moot Team.
In his free time Mike enjoys cycling, travelling and enjoying delicious craft beer.