Ian Reynolds specializes in private equity, corporate finance and mergers & acquisitions with a focus on private capital markets. Ian advises corporations and private equity firms on strategic planning, risk management, multi-jurisdiction mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, corporate reorganizations, corporate governance planning and structuring, and diverse financing arrangements including equity, debt, mezzanine, subordinated debt and quasi-equity transactions. Ian has been recognized as one of Canada's leading lawyers in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in 2015 and 2016, and the Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Corporate Lawyers in Canada in 2016 and 2017.
His professional experience is augmented by ongoing professional and leadership development. Ian has completed the Canadian Securities Course offered by the Canadian Securities Institute and the Directors Education Program jointly conducted by the Institute of Corporate Directors and the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto. He has received the Institute-certified Director qualification (ICD.D) from the Institute of Corporate Directors. He is also a member of the Association for Corporate Growth, the Canadian Venture Capital and Private Equity Association, the Mergers and Acquisitions Group, Business Financing Group and Corporate Governance Group of the American Bar Association.
Over the past 20 years, Ian has offered his legal and business acumen to leadership roles in the public and private sectors. Ian is currently on the following Boards and Committees:
- Member of the Board of Directors of Fort Edmonton Management Company.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of The Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation (www.stollerykids.com).
- Founding Mentor of the University of Alberta Venture Mentoring Service.
- Member of the University of Alberta Faculty of Law, Dean's External Advisory Board.
Previously, of note, Ian served on the following Boards and Committees:
- Member of the Alumni Council of the University of Alberta Alumni Association as the Faculty of Law representative.
- Member of the Board of Directors, Audit Committee and Risk Committee, of AFSC Financial (Agriculture Financial Services Corporation).
- Executive Board of the Board of Directors of Alberta Economic Development Authority (AEDA).
- Chair of the Envision Alberta Committee of AEDA. AEDA is an economic think tank that works in partnership with the provincial government to provide recommendations and long term strategic advice on key economic issues. While on the Envision Alberta Committee, completed the issuance of the AEDA Financial Services Sector Report in June 2010 as well as participated in the Alberta Financial Services Competitiveness Roundtable held in April 2011.
- Representative of AEDA on the Alberta Financial Services Steering Committee, an industry and provincial government initiative which will support the growth of the financial services sector in Alberta by monitoring issues and informing and providing recommendations to the provincial government on regulatory/policy initiatives.
- Vice Chair of the Board of Governors and Chair of the Governance Committee for Norquest College.