Christiaan Jordaan assists clients to resolve various commercial disputes, with a focus on appellate advocacy, class actions and judicial review. Christiaan also handles competition, employment and some insolvency litigation matters. He has appeared at the Supreme Court of Canada, all civil levels of court in Ontario, before the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal, and in private arbitrations. He is a seasoned trial and appellate lawyer.
Clients benefit from Christiaan’s resolute advocacy, but also appreciate his creative and efficient approach to resolving legal disputes.
Prior to joining Bennett Jones, Christiaan was an associate at another leading Canadian law firm.
Some representative mandates:
- Representing a major international technology company before the courts of Ontario and British Columbia, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada, in competition law class actions relating to "indirect" and "umbrella" purchasers.
- Representing an insurance market intermediary in a regulated conduct dispute.
- Representing a pharmaceutical distributor in the Federal Court to successfully oppose production of documents for patent litigation between pharmaceutical giants.
- Representing a former shareholder and creditor in oppression remedy proceedings on the Toronto Commercial List.
- Representing a leading global financial services company in an employment dispute with a former executive.
- Representing a staffing company in a variety of employment litigation matters.
- Representing a professional self-regulatory organization in a governance and membership dispute.
- Representing a dissident shareholder in a successful proxy contest relating to the proposed takeover of an energy company.
- Representing bondholders in one of the largest multinational insolvency proceedings in history.
- Representing majority shareholders of a Canadian technology company in oppression remedy proceedings.
- Representing a major Canadian company in negotiations with the Competition Bureau.
- Representing a major Canadian technology company to successfully limit the scope of a class action on certification and to settle remaining issues.
- Providing pro-bono representation to a legal aid clinic in a human rights case to advance a novel evidentiary argument before the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Representing automobile manufacturers to negotiate class action settlements.
- Representing a commercial tenant before the Ontario Court of Appeal to uphold the dismissal of a proceeding for delay.
- Representing a port authority at the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal to successfully oppose judicial review challenging the award of takeoff and landing rights at an urban airport.
- Representing a major U.S. bank to successfully obtain summary judgment on a debt. The decision was upheld on appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal, where the debtor's limitation period argument was rejected on conflict of laws grounds.
- Representing a small pharmacy before the Ontario Divisional Court in a successful judicial review challenging a government decision to terminate public drug program billing privileges.
- Representing an acquiror company to successfully enjoin the sale of a target company's major assets prior to an Ontario Securities Commission hearing to cease-trade the target company's "poison pill".
- Representing a national service organization before the Financial Services Tribunal to successfully obtain a determination that the organization was not responsible for funding the pension plan deficits attributable to employees of sister organizations.