Jane Helmstadter helps clients advance their business goals by applying practical solutions to a full range of domestic and cross-border purchase and sale, property development, financing, asset management, leasing and joint venture transactions. She has assisted Canada’s most prominent private and institutional real estate developers, investors, owners, landlords and tenants in transactions involving office, retail and industrial property, multi-family residential developments, seniors’ housing and renewable energy projects.
Jane is co-head of the firm's national real estate practice, leader of the Toronto office practice and a past member of the firm’s board of directors. Committed to continuing education and high standards of client service among the real estate bar, she frequently shares her knowledge in speaking and volunteer roles, including:
- Toronto Commercial Real Estate Women (Toronto CREW) – past president (2009) and board member, current member of the Past Presidents' Advisory Committee and Women's Leadership Development Committee
- RealLeasing, a forum on trends and strategies in Canadian real estate leasing
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Law Society of Upper Canada
Jane has also developed highly-specialized expertise advising clients on their obligations under provincial and municipal land transfer tax regulations.
- A major Chinese development company in its over-$150-million purchase of a large site near Toronto’s waterfront, for redevelopment purposes.
- A private developer in a $116-million refinancing of a mixed use project in Toronto.
- Several property owners, in their capacity as landlords, in the insolvency proceedings of Target Canada.
2017, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Jane C. Helmstadter, repeatedly recommended, Property Development
2016, The Legal 500 Canada
Jane C. Helmstadter, recommended, Real Estate
2016, Expert Guides Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law
Jane C. Helmstadter, recognized as one of the world's leading Women in Business Law - Real Estate
News & Speaking Engagements