Our multidisciplinary team of lawyers help businesses in the retail, consumer products and luxury brands space access the Canadian market and build and protect their value and brand reputation in Canada and around the world. We pride ourselves on providing creative and practical solutions to the complex legal and business issues facing this sector.
From fashion to footwear to accessories, automobiles to aircraft, and food and beverages to much more, we assist large and mid-size retail and commercial operations, franchises, and domestic and international brands.
Our team has particular expertise in the area of luxury brands. Businesses in this sector experience unique and complex legal issues surrounding copying, counterfeiting and trademark theft, as well as operational hurdles pertaining to trade regulations, import duties, transaction structuring for customs strategies, and tax.
Preserving, protecting and building brand value are critical factors in any market. Our team has the experience and relationships necessary to grow your business in Canada and protect your interests worldwide.
We Are Known For:
Brand Protection and Reputation Management
- Intellectual property rights from trademarks to patents, and business operations.
- Counterfeiting in the real world and e-world. This includes copying of goods via manufacturing operations, use of technology such as 3D printing, and the sale and resale of luxury brands using online markets.
- Crisis response management to guard against defamation, privacy, harassment, and confidentiality and data security breaches.
Advertising and Marketing
- Management of social media channels and user-generated content, such as videos, photos, blogs, vlogs and online commentary.
- Online shopping and data protection.
- Product placements and sponsorship rights.
Labeling, Liability and Safety
- Label placement and message content.
- Intelligent tagging that may impact personal data protection.
- Ethical source and origin tagging.
- Authorized and safe product testing.
- Pricing, payment and proof of purchase regulations.
- Terms of supply agreements.
- Consumer purchase, warranty, and cancellation agreements.
- Faulty goods descriptions or concerns.
- Business structuring.
- Customs and international trade.
- Acquisitions, mergers and insolvency.
- Tax structuring, commodity tax and transfer pricing.
- Licensing, franchising and contracting.
- Investments, equity and angel funding arrangements, and crowd funding agreements.
- Completion issues including, pricing, distribution, agency arrangements, sales, and delivery agreements.
- Regulatory compliance.
- Aviation and maritime law advise.
People and Property
- Employment and contract agreements.
- Supply chain and blockchain management.
- Business protection, founder, partner and survivorship agreements.
- Retails space agreements, including freehold and leasing, pop-up shops, concessions and shop-in-shops.