As course co-chair for the Western Canada Class Actions Conference 2021, Michael Eizenga participated in a Judges' Panel and quiz throughout the conference, and moderated the following sessions:
COVID-19 and the Class Actions Boom:
- the big picture surrounding COVID-19 and class actions;
- the big issues including LTC homes, businesses losses and ticket cases; and
- the next steps and lessons.
The Ontario Amendments and a Broader Comparison of B.C. and Ontario CAs:
- what the Ontario CPA amendments really mean for class actions in Ontario and Canada and
- compare the amendments in British Columbia and Ontario regimes.
Privacy: The Next Frontier and Leading Edge for Class Actions? Or Is That All There Is?:
- an overview of Canada's private sector privacy legislation;
- common law and statutory claims as a basis for class actions;
- the problem of "notional-nominal general damages";
- managing privacy class actions; and
- the next steps.