Moderated by Gray Taylor and David Spencer, this Bennett Jones seminar provided insight on the complex issues related to required disclosure by public companies relating to climate change, whether under continuous disclosure or offering documents, as well as the advantages and traps of going beyond required disclosure into the realm of voluntary climate change information sharing. The panellists touched on the growing list of guidance on these topics from regulators, courts, standards setting bodies and investors.
- Frank Allen, Corporate/Securities Law Partner, Bennett Jones LLP
- Julie Desjardins, Climate Change Advisor to the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Paul Moore, Senior Advisor to Bennett Jones LLP and former Vice-Chair of the Ontario Securities Commission
- Gayle Koch, The Brattle Group, Boston, MA, and technical contact for the ASTM draft climate change financial disclosure standard
- Paul Cantor, Senior Business Advisor to Bennett Jones LLP and Chair of the Public Sector Pension Investment Board
Registration is required.
Attached below in PDF format (click on the Download Article link below) is a compilation from the materials referenced in the seminar including:
- Presentation materials from Gray Taylor, Frank Allen, Gayle Koch and Julie Desjardins
- A questionnaire for your Board of Directors regarding climate change issues
- Recent settlements between the Attorney General
of New York and major energy companies regarding climate change disclosure
- Xcel Energy Inc
- Dynegy Inc
Related Materials Available Online
- Climate Change Disclosure in 2008 by Frank Allen
- Announcements regarding settlements between the Attorney General of New
York and major energy companies regarding climate change disclosure:
- Xcel Energy Inc.
- Dynegy Inc.
- CICA Handbook and ASTM:
- CICA "Building a Better MD&A"
- ASTM Home Page
- ASTM Subcommittee on Environmental Risk Management
- ASTM's climate change disclosure work item