Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2011
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Location: The Offices of Bennett Jones, 1 First Canadian Place, 100 King Street West, 34th floor, Toronto ON M5X 1A4
On Wednesday, June 1, 2011, Bennett Jones' Toronto office will be hosting our second annual complimentary securities litigation breakfast seminar.
Please join us as we discuss the following recent developments in Canadian securities litigation:
1. Class Actions
- Statutory and common law securities claims in class actions
- Imax and Arctic Glacier: the impact on secondary market class actions
- Certification trends
2. National Securities Regulator
- The Proposed Canada Securities Act
- The Alberta and Quebec decisions
- The Supreme Court reference
3. Dealing with Regulators
- Trends in enforcement proceedings
- Working with the regulator
- Credit for cooperation: is the credit worth the cooperation?
- Lessons from Melnyk and Magna
- Recently discussed proposals to reform enforcement and settlement:
a. Immunity agreements
b. Whistleblower programs
c. Settlement agreements that do not require admissions
4. Professionalism in Securities Litigation
- The scope of solicitor-client privilege
- Reporting "up the corporate ladder"
Moderated by Jeffrey S. Leon (Chair, Securities Litigation Practice Group)
Registration: 7:30 a.m.
Breakfast and Presentations: 8:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
Questions: 9:15 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
CPD Credit Information
- Total CPD: 1.5 credit hours (including .5 credit hours towards Professionalism content)
For more information on the session or to attend, please contact Bennett Jones Events.