The financial crisis, coupled with increased scrutiny of corporate governance generally, has increased personal liability risk for directors and officers.
Please join our experienced panel:
Barry Reiter, Partner and
Chair, Corporate Governance and Director Protection Group
Eric Hoaken, Partner and Co-Chair, Class Action Litigation Group
David Price, Former Chief Underwriting Officer, Everest Insurance Company
Jordan Solway, General Counsel & Senior Vice-President, Claims Munich Canada
for this two part BJU substantive series course.
Part 1: Introductory Course
The introductory course will deal with the basics of director protection including:
- Statutory, by-law and contractual indemnification;
- An outline of how D&O insurance works;
- Key terms in D&O insurance policies;
- Basic business decisions to be made in insurance procurement;
- How to address conflicts that arise in D&O insurance; and
- The lawyer's role in D&O programs.
Part 2: Advanced Course
The advanced course will deal with difficult issues that we have addressed in the course of our work with D&O insurance, including:
- Designing the procurement process;
- Control of the insurance program;
- Priority of payment;
- Claims triggers;
- When does coverage begin;
- How are insurance claims handled;
- Conflicts and counsel;
- Program design, including cost, comprehensiveness, layering and separate coverages;
- Impact of bankruptcy; and
- Protection of retiring directors.
This event is also being offered as a WebEx webinar.
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2012
Registration/Buffet Breakfast: 8:00 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
Part 1: Introductory Course: 8:15 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
Break: 9:15 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Part 2: Advanced Course: 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Location: Bennett Jones' Toronto Office, 100 King Street West, 34th Floor, Toronto, ON M5X 1A4
CPD Credit Information
CPD: 1.0 credit hours towards professionalism content + 1.0
credit hours towards substantive content
New Members: 2.0 credit hours
For more information on the session or to attend, please contact Regina Goldis at 416.777.6506 or GoldisR@bennettjones.com.