Ian Goldberg practices business law with a focus on mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, restructurings and joint ventures. He has been a partner at the firm since 2007 and is a Co-chair of the firm's Opinions Committee. Prior to joining Bennett Jones, Ian was a partner at another prominent Canadian law firm.
Ian has extensive experience as a corporate and commercial lawyer. He has provided advice in connection with a broad range of commercial law issues, for both public and private business corporations, limited partnerships and trusts including structuring and organizing start-up operations, directors' and shareholders' meetings, corporate governance and the duties and obligations of directors and trustees. Ian is well-versed in assisting multi-national corporations structure their Canadian operations. He has extensive experience negotiating and drafting various types of commercial agreements including joint venture, service, supply, development, participation, support, back-stop, limited partnership and shareholder agreements and declarations of trust.
One of Ian's areas of specialization is dealing with complex multi-national and multi-jurisdictional reorganizations and recapitalizations. Ian has been involved in the corporate and securities law aspects of many of Canada's recent largest and most complex cross-border restructurings and recapitalizations.
Ian has provided corporate and securities law advice to a number of public corporations including those in the pharmaceutical, retail, forestry, technology and energy industries. He has provided advice with respect to a broad range of public company legal requirements, including shareholders' meetings, information circular preparation and securities commission and stock exchange requirements. He has frequently acted in connection with the acquisition and disposition of public companies, representing both the target and the buyer. He is particularly well-versed in dealing with the plan of arrangement provisions of the Business Corporations Act (Ontario) and the Canada Business Corporations Act.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Ian has been involved in significant acquisitions and dispositions and joint ventures in various industries including the pharmaceutical, forestry, steel, and energy industries. In connection with such transactions, he has regularly participated in structuring and planning the transaction, negotiating and drafting letters of intent, acquisition and support agreements, plans of arrangement, development, supply and services agreements and related documents. Ian regularly plays a pivotal role in identifying and coordinating the efforts of other specialists in areas such as taxation, pensions, labour, environmental and real estate and is experienced in assembling and directing large teams of lawyers to conduct due diligence to implement transactions. Ian has frequently participated in obtaining key regulatory approvals and negotiated and drafted important transition service agreements and other agreements relating to business operations.
Recent selected public transactions include the following:
- Samson Capital Advisors LLC, a prominent U.S. fixed income investment management firm, in connection with its acquisition by Fiera Capital Corporation, a leading North American independent asset management firm, for US$31.5 million.
- Noront Resources Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of chromite properties in the Ring of Fire mineral region in northern Ontario from certain subsidiaries of Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. for a purchase price of US$27.5 million pursuant to an Approval and Vesting Order granted by the Québec Superior Court on April 28, 2015.
- Wheels Group, Inc. in connection with its corporate reorganization and subsequent acquisition by Radiant Logistics Inc. pursuant to a court approved plan of arrangement for approximately $100 million.
- Argonaut Gold Inc. in connection with its $75 million acquisition of Silver Standard's San Augistin Property.
- Canadian counsel to Bel Air Investment Advisors LLC as well as its affiliate Bel Air Securities LLC in connection with its US$125 million acquisition by Fiera Capital Corporation.
- Glencore in its $6.1 billion acquisition of Viterra with back-to-back sales to Agrium and Richardson International of approximately $2.6 billion.
- Canadian counsel to the bondholders in Nortel.
- Canadian counsel to the official committee in AbitibiBowater Inc.
- Canadian counsel to the official committee in Smurfit-Stone.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd. as Canadian counsel in connection with its acquisition of ratiopharm Group (approximately $4.85 billion).
- Research in Motion Limited, in connection with its acquisition of QNT Software Systems from Harman International, Incorporated.
- Pet Valu, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by way of plan of arrangement by certain affiliates of Roark Capital Group ($143 million).
- Canadian counsel to the official committee in Quebécor World, et al.
- The largest bondholder in connection with the recapitalization of Ainsworth Lumber Co. Ltd.
- SSAB Svenskt Stål AB in connection with the sale of its North American tubular business, IPSCO Tubulars to Evraz Group, SA (US$4.025 billion).
- SSAB Svenskt Stål AB in connection with the acquisition of Canadian steel producer, IPSCO Inc. ($9.1 billion).
- Weyerhaeuser Company in its cash and stock merger of its fine-paper business with Domtar Corporation (approximately US$3.3 billion).