Rick Orzy is the leader of the national Restructuring and Insolvency practice, one of the most active practices in Canada. His practice covers the entire range of restructuring, insolvency and bankruptcy, acting for creditors and debtors.
In addition, Rick is especially noted for his pre-eminent practice representing bondholders of all types, major foreign creditors, high-yield investors, secondary market investors, landlords, indenture trustees and creditors' committees in many of Canada's largest insolvencies, currently and recently including, among others:
- Target Canada
- Yellow Media Inc.
- Nortel Networks
- OPTI Canada
- Catalyst Paper
- Gateway Casinos & Entertainment
- Quebecor World
- Tamerlane Ventures
- SkyLink Aviation
- Canadian Non-bank Asset-backed Commercial Paper (ABCP)
- Stelco Inc.
- Tembec Inc.
- Parmalat Canada
- Teleglobe Inc.
- Calpine Canada
- Ivaco Inc.
- AT&T Canada Inc.
- Doman Industries Limited
- Laidlaw Inc.
- SR Telecom Inc.
- Port Townsend Paper Corporation
- Vicwest Corporation
He also regularly acts for foreign banks and other financial institutions, insurance companies, and for debtors or monitors in many complex restructurings.
A substantial portion of his practice involves cross-border matters, including restructurings in countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama, Bermuda, Norway, Australia and Italy. He has acted as Canadian counsel in significant U.S.-based restructurings and as insolvency counsel to the Toronto Stock Exchange.
He regularly lectures and writes articles on insolvency and restructuring topics and issues. Rick has been recognized repeatedly as a leading Canadian and international bankruptcy and restructuring practitioner, by many publications and surveys, including the following:
- Ranked as a Band 1 practitioner, restructuring/insolvency, in Chambers Canada 2017;
- Who's Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency 2016;
- Selected as a Band 1 Canadian practitioner in Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2017;
- Selected as one of The Best of the Best 2016 worldwide (top restructuring and insolvency experts in the world) by Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers;
- The 2017 Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada;
- The 2016 Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada;
- PLC Restructuring and Insolvency multi-jurisdictional guide 2012/2013;
- The 2017 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada;
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2017;
- The 2017 Legal 500: Canada;
- The 2017 Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of insolvency and financial restructuring;
- The Lexpert Guide to the 100 Most Creative Lawyers in Canada;
- The 2013 Who's Who Legal: International Who's Who of Business Lawyers;
- PLC Cross-border Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook;
- Euromoney's Expert Guide of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers; and
- 2016 IFLR 1000:The Guide To The World's Leading Financial Law Firms.
He is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, INSOL International, the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Insolvency Lawyers' Association (U.K.), a director of a number of charitable organizations, is the President of a charitable foundation, and was recently President of a Toronto Children's Aid Society and family services agency.
Rick holds M.B.A. and J.D. degrees from the Joint Program at York University (Schulich School) and Osgoode Hall Law School and a B.A. (Commerce and Economics) from the University of Toronto.