Rick Orzy's practice covers the entire range of restructuring, insolvency and bankruptcy, acting for creditors and debtors.
In addition, Rick is especially noted for his pre-eminent practice representing bondholders of all types, major foreign creditors, high-yield investors, secondary market investors, landlords, indenture trustees and creditors' committees in many of Canada's largest insolvencies, currently and recently including, among others:
He also regularly acts for foreign banks and other financial institutions, insurance companies, and for debtors or monitors in many complex restructurings.
A substantial portion of his practice involves cross-border matters, including restructurings in countries such as the United States, Israel, the United Kingdom, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama, Bermuda, Norway, Australia and Italy. He has acted as Canadian counsel in significant U.S.-based restructurings and as insolvency counsel to the Toronto Stock Exchange.
He regularly lectures and writes articles on insolvency and restructuring topics and issues. Rick has been recognized repeatedly as a leading Canadian and international bankruptcy and restructuring practitioner, by many publications and surveys, including the following:
- Ranked as a Band 1 practitioner, restructuring/insolvency, in Chambers Canada 2018*;
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2017*;
- Who's Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency 2018*;
- Selected as a Band 1 Canadian practitioner in Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2018*;
- Selected as one of The Best of the Best 2018* worldwide (top restructuring and insolvency experts in the world) by Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers;
- The 2017* Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada;
- The 2017* Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada;
- PLC Restructuring and Insolvency multi-jurisdictional guide;
- The 2018* Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada;
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2017*;
- The 2018* Legal 500: Canada;
- The 2017* Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of insolvency and financial restructuring;
- The Lexpert Guide to the 100 Most Creative Lawyers in Canada;
- PLC Cross-border Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook;
- Euromoney's Expert Guide of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers; and
- 2018* IFLR 1000:The Guide To The World's Leading Financial Law Firms.
* and for numerous previous years
He is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, INSOL International, the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Insolvency Lawyers' Association (U.K.), a director of a number of charitable organizations, is the President of a charitable foundation, and was previously President of a Toronto Children's Aid Society and family services agency.
Rick holds M.B.A. and J.D. degrees from the Joint Program at York University (Schulich School) and Osgoode Hall Law School and a B.A. (Commerce and Economics) from the University of Toronto.