We help our clients compete on a global scale and prosper from the ever increasing business opportunities existing between India and Canada. Bennett Jones has established a group of strategic business and legal advisors who provide a full range of legal services and strategic advice to Indian organizations interested in expanding into the Canadian market or investing in Canadian opportunities, (including, in particular, in energy, oil sands, gas, and mining), as well as assisting Canadian clients in understanding and pursuing the incredible opportunities available in the rapidly growing Indian market.
The India practice group is led by Raj Sahni in Toronto, who has been recognized by the India Business Law Journal as one of the top 100 international lawyers on India related matters, and comprises the expertise of advisors from multiple practice areas, including public policy, energy, environmental and climate change, international trade and investment, taxation, technology, public-private partnerships, real estate, employment and immigration, insolvency and restructuring, and corporate finance and acquisitions, as well as manufacturing and operational related advice. We offer clients a full-range of legal and strategic business advisory services to meet the diverse needs of our clients. Bennett Jones provides Canadian legal advice only, but works with a network of reliable and experienced Indian lawyers and advisors to provide any needed advice and legal assistance in India.
We have assisted clients on numerous mandates relating to India, including:
- outsourcing and technology licensing agreements involving India’s largest outsourcing companies;
- a merger and acquisition transaction involving one of India’s largest oil companies and a Canadian multinational;
- advising on carbon emissions reduction projects and carbon credits involving a large Indian multinational;
- advising one of India’s largest food processing companies on trademark and intellectual property issues in North America;
- advising an Indian engineering company with respect to a large Canadian power project;
- acting for a Canadian private equity fund on the sale of a large Indian BPO business to an Indian buyer;
- acting on a secured financing in respect of a co-generation power facility owned by an Indian multinational; and
- acting for a large Indian multinational on financing structures in relation to its Canadian manufacturing plants.