Christian Gauthier is a Partner of Bennett Jones LLP based in Vancouver and Toronto who advises local and international clients on mergers & acquisitions, corporate finance, corporate governance and securities law matters. He assists acquirors, target companies (including special committees), and venture and private equity funds with the acquisition and sale of public and private entities, initial and secondary public offerings of equity and debt, private placements, joint-ventures, reorganizations, restructurings, and proxy battles in the energy, mining, technology, media & telecom, financial, real estate, retail and other industries.
Christian recently acted as the principal M&A/securities lawyer on the following transactions:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited with its acquisition of the Playtime group of companies for an undisclosed amount
- Precision Castparts Corp. (NYSE:PCC) with its (a) US$560 million cross border acquisition of Noranco from MidOcean Partners and PSP Investments (2015); (b) (NYSE:PCC) $300 million cross border acquisition of Aerostructure and Industrial Products from Héroux-Devtek (2013), and cross border acquisition of Centra Industries Inc. for an undisclosed amount (2012)
- The shareholders of Bermuda Telecom Company with its sale to the Digicel Group for an undisclosed amount (2015)
- VimpelCom Ltd.'s (NASDAQ: VIP) extensive auction process and $300 million cross border disposition of its debt and equity interests in the Globalive group of companies (WIND Mobile Canada) to a consortium of buyers led by West Face Capital Inc. and Tennenbaum Capital Partners (2014)
- Royal Host Inc.'s (TSX:RYL) $157 million acquisition by Holloway Lodging Corporation (TSX: HLC) under plan of arrangement (2014)
- Clarke Inc.'s (TSX:CKI) $100 million sale of its truckload, less-than-truckload and freight logistics businesses to TransForce Inc. (TSX: TFI) (2014)
- General Donlee Canada Inc.'s (TSX:GDI) strategic review and $113 million cross border sale to Triumph Group, Inc. (NYSE: TGI) under a plan of arrangement (2013)
- TerraVest Capital Inc.'s (TSX:TVK) (a) $16 million cross border acquisition of Signature Trucks (2015); (b) $12 million acquisition of NWP Industries Inc., a manufacturer of high-quality oil & gas processing equipment based in Western Canada (2014) and (c) $54 million acquisition of Gestion Jerico Inc., a Quebec-based commercial and residential tank manufacturing company (2014)
- Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited's C$200 million note offering led by TD Securities Inc., BMO Capital Markets, Morgan Stanley and SunTrust Robinson Humphrey
- Crius Energy Trust's (TSX: KWH) (a) $100 million cross border TSX IPO by a syndicate co-led by Scotiabank, RBC Capital Markets and UBS Securities Canada Inc.; and (b) $46.1 million bought deal short form prospectus offering co-led by Cormark Securities Inc., Scotiabank and RBC Capital Markets for the primary purpose of increasing its ownership in Crius Energy, LLC from $26.8% to 43.1%
- OneRoof Energy, Inc.'s (TSX: ON) $50 million cross border TSX-V IPO by a syndicate led by Desjardins Capital Markets and including Canaccord Genuity Corp.
- TerraVest Capital Inc.'s (TSX: TVK) (a) $25 million aggregate principal amount of 7.00% convertible unsecured subordinated debentures due June 30, 2020 on a bought deal basis at a price of $1,000 per $1,000 principal amount of debentures co-led by National Bank Financial Inc. and CIBC World Markets Inc.; and (b) $20 million bought deal co-led by National Bank Financial Inc. and Cormark Securities Inc.
Christian is an instructor on Understanding the Director's Duty of Care in the Director Education Program offered by SFU's Beedie School of Business and jointly developed by the Institute of Corporate Directors and The Rotman School of Management. Christian was an adjunct professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Western Ontario, where he co-taught "The Art of the Deal" from 2010 to 2012 and an adjunct professor at the York University Faculty of Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, where he co-taught Canadian Business Associations to international students in Osgoode's Professional LLM program. Christian was a special lecturer in the Faculty of Law at Queen's University, where he co-taught a seminar on advanced corporate law from 2008 to 2010.
In 2005, Christian completed a six-month secondment to the Corporate Finance Branch of the Ontario Securities Commission where he was responsible for reviewing and commenting on prospectuses and applications for discretionary exemptions.
- Crius Energy Trust, in connection with completing acquisition of remaining interest in Crius Energy, LLC Read more
- CG Power Systems Canada Inc., a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of Mumbai-based Crompton Greaves Limited, in connection with the sale of its assets to PTI Manitoba Inc. for an enterprise value of C$20 million.
- TerraVest Capital Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the assets of Signature Truck Systems, Inc. and Lakeshore Metal Works, Inc.
2017, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Christian P. Gauthier, repeatedly recommended, Corporate Finance & Securities
2016, Lexpert/Report on Business Special Edition - Canada's Leading Global Mining Lawyers
Christian P. Gauthier, recognized as a leading mining lawyer in Canada
2016, Who's Who Legal: Canada
Christian P. Gauthier, recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of mining
News & Speaking Engagements