Khan practises in the areas of securities and corporate commercial law,
including corporate finance, mergers and acquisition transactions, and
structured financial products, with a focus on the mining and technology
Abbas acts for Canadian and international mining companies
involved in public equity and debt offerings, private placements, reverse
takeover transactions, mergers and acquisitions and stock exchange listings
with properties in Canada, the United States, Eastern Europe, Africa and
Australia. Abbas also advises exploration, development, producing and royalty
companies on Canadian securities law matters (including compliance with
National Instrument 43-101 of the Canadian Securities Administrators in
respect of mineral project disclosure), joint ventures, property
acquisitions, royalty acquisitions and earn-in agreements. Abbas also acts
for investment dealers in equity and debt offerings and mergers and
acquisition transactions and advises board of directors and special
committees on securities law compliance matters, corporate governance and
related party transactions.
Abbas acts for issuers and underwriters in
domestic and international public equity and debt offerings and private
placements; mergers and acquisitions and other business combinations. He also
advises public companies on Canadian securities laws (including continuous
disclosure and regulatory compliance).
Abbas's experience includes over
a year working on transactions in the structured products group of a leading
Canadian investment bank.
Abbas is a member of the Rocky Mountain
Mineral Law Foundation, the Canadian Bar Association , the New York Bar
Association, and Ontario Securities Commission Disclosure Advisory Committee.
In the community, he is a board member of Horizons for Youth, a non-profit,
emergency shelter dedicated to helping homeless and at-risk youth.
- Premier Gold Mines Limited in connection with its acquisition from Goldcorp Inc. of a 40% interest in a joint venture with Barrick Gold Corporation in respect of the South Arturo mine in Nevada for total gross proceeds of approximately US$40,600,000.
- O'Hara Administration Co., S.A. in a successful proxy contest relating to a proposed takeover of Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. by ALFA S.A.B. de CV and Harbour Energy Ltd. (ongoing)
- Premier Gold Mines Limited, a Canadian-based mineral exploration company, in connection with its proposed 50/50 partnership with Centerra Gold Inc. for the joint ownership and development of Premier's Trans-Canada Property including the Hardrock Gold Project located in the Geraldton-Beardmore Greenstone Belt in Ontario.
Lexpert US/Canada Cross-Border Guide - Corporate
- 2016, Abbas Ali Khan, recognized as a leading lawyer in Corporate Finance & Securities
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- 2016, Abbas Ali Khan, repeatedly recommended, Corporate Finance & Securities
Lexpert/Report on Business Special Edition - Canada's Leading Global Mining Lawyers
- 2016, Abbas Ali Khan, recognized as a leading mining lawyer in Canada
News & Speaking Engagements