Michael Kergin writes in Policy Magazine on the first Canada/United States summit led by Prime Minister Trudeau and President Joe Biden. The February 23, 2021 meeting resulted in a jointly drafted twelve page Roadmap for a Renewed US-Canada Partnership, establishing a blueprint for managing a broad range of cross-border issues, including:
- confronting COVID-19;
- climate change and the environment;
- continental defence and security;
- building global alliances;
- cross-border supply chains; and
- Canadian and American approaches to China.
Michael has been involved in almost a dozen Canada-U.S. head of government meetings under prime ministers Mulroney, Chretien and Martin.