Darrell Peterson is a highly respected M&A and corporate finance lawyer and has been recognized as “a dynamic, accessible, tactful and productive” lawyer (Chambers Global).
Darrell's practice focuses principally on transactions for natural resource industry participants, including companies engaged in oil and gas exploration and production, midstream activities, upgrading and refining, and oilfield services.
Darrell has significant experience in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; equity and debt financings; and private equity investments. He has represented:
- public companies and special board committees in negotiated and unsolicited M&A transactions;
- independent E&P companies, oilfield services providers, and hydrocarbon upgrading and refiners in M&A, A&D, joint venture, partnership and financing activities;
- private equity funds and investees in energy, industrial and technology investments;
- issuers of equity and debt in capital markets transactions, including prospectus offerings, private placements, and primary and secondary initial public offerings; and
- management in MBO and LBO transactions.
“a great head for business"
In M&A, Darrell has led or co-led some of the largest and most complex transactions in Western Canada, including Flint Energy Services' sale to URS; Deer Creek Energy Limited, on its negotiated takeover by Total E&P Canada Ltd.; and Iteration Energy Inc., on its sale to Chinook Energy Ltd. As well, Darrell advised Newalta Corporation on its "just-say-no" defence against an unsolicited offer by Canadian Crude Separators Inc.; Luscar Coal Income Fund on its defence to a hostile bid by Sherritt Coal Partnership; and Petrobank Energy and Resources Ltd. on its $1.76-billion opposed bid for Ranger Oil Ltd.
In Corporate Finance, Darrell has led debt financings totalling over $7.5 billion; numerous initial public offerings and stock exchange listings of equity (national and cross-border, including MJDS); the creation and implementation of a number of equity lines of credit; and multiple private placement financings (brokered and unbrokered; national and cross-border).
Darrell's private equity clients include Morgan Stanley Energy Partners, Riverstone Holdings, Quantum Energy Partners, Kelso & Company, The Sterling Group and Mill City Capital. Darrell provides advice to these clients on structuring and investments in management teams and acquiring operating companies in Western Canada.
Complementing his practice, Darrell has also completed the Directors Financial Literacy program offered by the Institute of Corporate Directors and the Evaluation of Oil & Gas Properties for Technical Professionals Certification course offered by Sproule.