Darrell Peterson is a highly respected M&A and corporate finance lawyer and has been recognized as "a dynamic, accessible, tactful and productive" lawyer and as having "a great head for business" (Chambers Global).
Darrell has significant experience in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; equity and debt financings; and private equity investments. He has represented:
- public companies and special board committees in negotiated and unsolicited M&A transactions;
- independent industrial and energy companies, services providers and downstream entities in M&A, A&D, joint venture, partnership and financing activities;
- management in MBO and LBO transactions;
- issuers of equity and debt in capital markets transactions, including primary and secondary initial public offerings, prospectus offerings, private placements and seed and series financings; and
- private equity funds and investees in structuring (domestic and cross-border) and in industrial, energy and technology investments.
In M&A, Darrell has led or co-led some of the largest and most complex transactions in Western Canada, as well as leading deals in Europe, Russia and South America. In addition, Darrell has advised on both sides of several unsolicited offers including one of the only "just-say-no" defences undertaken in Canada.
In Corporate Finance, Darrell has led debt financings totalling over $11.0 billion; numerous initial public offerings and stock exchange listings of equity (national and cross-border, including MJDS); the creation and implementation of a number of equity lines of credit; and multiple private placement financings (brokered and unbrokered; national and cross-border).
Darrell's private equity clients include a number of large and mid-cap U.S. and Canadian industrial, energy and technology funds. Darrell advises on fund formation strategies involving both collective investment vehicles and direct investments across a variety of asset classes and industries. In addition, he has substantial experience with sponsored management transactions, portfolio company growth through M&A and workouts/restructuring.
Complementing his practice, Darrell is a holder of the Institute of Corporate Directors, Director Designation (ICD.D) and has also completed the Directors Financial Literacy, Board Chair and Board Oversight of Technology programs offered by the Institute of Corporate Directors, and the Evaluation of Oil & Gas Properties for Technical Professionals Certification course offered by Sproule International.