Five days per week from Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. or 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Accurately proofread, format, draft and assist with various legal and general materials, including: blackline documents, reports, memos, briefings, presentations, forms and other items, ensuring accuracy, completeness and compliance with legal processes; checking for appropriate formatting, spelling, grammar, etc.
- Schedule appointments, meetings and conferences for lawyers as directed
- Interact with clients by telephone and email
- Maintain existing filing systems and office procedures utilizing knowledge of legal records and procedures while managing confidential materials and documents
- Open and distribute regular incoming mail
- Enter dockets and prepare monthly client accounts and other billing work as required
- Manage administrative aspects of the lawyers' practice/calendar with minimal supervision, including restaurant reservations and expenses
- Largely support an employment solicitor practice. However, experience with the preparation and completion of various litigation documentation such as court filings, notices, affidavits and, serving documents and filing them with applicable courts, tribunals and agencies an asset
- Awareness of processes and deadlines for serving and filing court documents
- Certification from an accredited Legal Administrative Assistant program
- Relevant experience assisting multiple busy lawyers preferably in employment law
- Solid understanding of Canadian legal documentation and administrative procedures
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (including Adobe Pro and Excel)
- Exceptional proofreading, spelling and grammar skills
- Willingness and ability to work in a team and at a busy desk with a high volume of matters
- 5 years experience as a legal assistant at a large law firm supporting a busy practice is preferred
- Self-motivated and quick learner
- Exceptional organization, time management and planning skills
- Professional in all communications (client facing and internal) and effective interpersonal, written and oral skills
- Efficient problem solving and decision making skills
All offers of employment are conditional upon the satisfactory verification of a Canadian criminal record check. Determination of the factors that constitute satisfactory verification is within the sole discretion of Bennett Jones.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Bennett Jones is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act, 2005. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Bennett Jones is committed to the health, safety, and well-being of our firm members. Effective October 1, 2021, Bennett Jones will require all Firm members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, in accordance with public health guidance, prior to entering the workplace, attending a firm sponsored event, attending at a client's workplace or travelling on firm business. Bennett Jones welcomes applications from all applicants, including applicants who may requires a specific accommodation because of a disability or another protected ground. Any applicant requiring accommodation during the application process should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.