- Supervises and engages in the translation of complex content into practical and effective know-how for our Corporate lawyers – including the creation of precedents, opinions, practice notes, toolkits and checklists
- Leads the innovation efforts and LegalTech adoption within group; plays an active role to identify and plan the needs, scope, training and roll-out of innovative practice tools and systems to the Firm
- Works with Partners, Business Development, and K+IS to identify, develop and draft high quality and useful client-facing knowledge products and resources
- Understands the business drivers affecting legal demand for significant clients and targets of the Practice Groups to identify business opportunities
- Monitors the legal and regulatory landscape to identify major developments that will impact the Firm’s clients
- Participates in the design and delivery of legal training programs to inform our lawyers and clients about developments and industry trends
- Provides ongoing coaching to students and lawyers on the use of KM resources and tools to foster collaboration and continuous improvement within the Practice Groups
- Accesses the insights and expertise of the corporate/commercial group through knowledge sharing and personal networking to fold into our knowledge resources keeping them relevant and actionable
- Works with lawyers, the K+IS Department and other stakeholders to establish legal project management and process improvement initiatives to support and share best practices
- A minimum of five years’ experience practicing oil & gas law, commercial, M&A and/or corporate governance at a national law firm or an in-house legal department
- Called to the Alberta Bar
- Superior legal and business research skills to provide senior lawyers with clear and authoritative analysis, and excellent legal drafting skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills for face-to-face meetings and email/telephone communication; the ability to deliver presentations and training in an engaging and thought-provoking manner
- Ability to engage partners and associates on both tactical and strategic KM issues, acting as a positive role model to motivate and lead adoption activities
- Maintain and develop in-depth knowledge and expertise of substantive law, our clients' industries and our practice groups to create a reputation for excellence within the Firm
- Demonstrate high professional standards and a service-oriented nature, with a passion for quality work product
- Flexibility to work both collaboratively as part of the K+IS Department and independently with minimal supervision
- Enthusiastic, with a proactive approach to the application of Knowledge Management that will benefit both our lawyers and clients
- Inquisitive about the business of law and our clients' businesses and markets
All offers of employment are conditional upon the satisfactory verification of a Canadian criminal record check. Determination of the factors that constitute satisfactory verification is within the sole discretion of Bennett Jones.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Bennett Jones is committed to the health, safety, and well-being of our firm members. Effective October 1, 2021, Bennett Jones will require all Firm members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, in accordance with public health guidance, prior to entering the workplace, attending a firm sponsored event, attending at a client's workplace or travelling on firm business. Bennett Jones welcomes applications from all applicants, including applicants who may requires a specific accommodation because of a disability or another protected ground. Any applicant requiring accommodation during the application process should contact email@example.com.